Community Development Director
Nuisance Abatement Officer/GIS Technician
The city of Richmond has established and maintained public improvements that support a full service community. Passage of local sales tax elections, a downtown with a historic “niche” appeal, strategic location on a newly improving regional highway system, new highway interchanges and the maintenance of urban infrastructure-all have helped build Richmond as a county-seat of Ray County.
The city has the opportunity to build on those strengths as it plans for growth, inside the city with “infill” development, and outside to the southeast, south and southwest from the city. Strengthening downtown while accommodating commercial development within established business districts is a major challenge for Richmond. Stabilization of residential districts is important while serving new subdivisions in growth areas, along Highways 10 and 13.
Planning and Development
The Planning and Development Department is responsible for guiding desirable community development through its various divisions. Together, these divisions work to ensure responsible and comprehensive land use decisions, healthy neighborhoods and preservation of Richmond’s rich history, and quality and safe construction in the community.
• Building Permit Application
• Commercial Permit Application Checklist
• Application for Appeal, Board of Zoning Adjustment
• Application for Appeal, Building Code Commission
• Application for Change in Non-Conforming Use
• Application for Conditional Use
• Application for Final/Minor Plat
• Application for Preliminary Plat
• Application for Rezoning
• Application for Vacating Alley, Street or Utility Easement
• Application for Variance